Skip to main content

Junta – Game review – a blast from the past

We have not played Junta for > 15 years and it was perhaps unsurprising how well it held up, given  the good memories of old games. In the old days when we played this game it was always fun but seemed to take an age to get finished. Particularly  during a coup  which always took at least an hour to complete. After this game we realised that perhaps part of this was due to the people we used to play with and their slow, methodical approach to decision making during a board game.

The rules were easily remembered and  although I am certain we made a few mistakes came back quite quickly. What with assassinations, bribes, 2 coups attempts, both successful, but one turncoat rebel spoiling the impact of the first one, occurring within 2 hours the game was a resounding success. To  cap it all after the initial jibes about not having any cash in my Swiss bank account and being assassinated for at least the first four turns I ended up winning.  I will take this victory even if I know it was helped by the misunderstanding about what time it was, and the fact that gave me an opportunity to bank a lot of cash in the last turn defended by two anti assassination cards (both needed).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Items for sale 2024

 

New set of Mordheim Buildings

Last month I finished off my second set of GW Mordheim buildings. Both sets now complete, just need to get around to playing some games.   

Helping Hands 3

Third of the monthly posting of the other world Henchman in conjunction with Duke of the Blood Keep and Minis by Finch This time it's the turn of the poor donkey, carrying an excess of adventurer baggage. I have tried feathering the body of the donkey with the intention of showing up the texture of the hairs but I am uncertain how effective it is. Similarly with the white underbody, I am wondering if I have gone too far down the legs. As a bonus I painted the Cerepod (or Grell for the original Fiend Folio), the poor donkey is doomed. The Cerepod is painted in similar colours to the one on the otherworld site which having looked up its entry in the Fiend Folio are not strictly speaking authentic! In addition ahead of starting on my Drow and Driders I have test painted two old GW Demonettes. Clearly the grey one is the test paint (however stupidly I forgot to note which grey I started with), the pink one was to try out some new paints. I tried something